Sunday, August 28, 2011

CHASING THE PIPES

It didn't take long to realize that just trying to connect all the piping correctly by looking at a few photographs wasn't going to cut the mustard, so I decided to research the braking systems of the era and settled on a more recent system (circa 1916) that was "designed for any locomotive regardless of its type of service without modification or change, and could be used in any kind of service such as high speed passenger, double pressure control, all ordinary passenger and freight and all switching service without any changes of special adjustments."(1)

The below drawing is of such a system called the ET equipment system. On the surface it appears to be very similar to what I am seeing on the K-36, so for the purposes of creating drawings for my K-36 scale model, this is the system I will employ.


Some items on the K-36, such as the air pump, the airpump governor, the distribution valve, and other components are obviously later versions than those shown in these drawings, but for the purposes of understanding the operation of the brake system, it should make little difference.

About the only way I can get more accuracy is to go camp out in Chama or Antonito and create more reference sketches and take many more photos. That's out of the question nowadays, and at age 72, I'm running out of time anyway.

I will most probably never build such a model, I no longer belong to the NMRA and don't build contest models anymore, but I want to complete and record all my research anyway.

I have several unfinished models already. One such is the ON3 scale rotaty shown below:




And this ON3 scale caboose:


There has never been enough time... Never will be.

One other thing I have discovered... Many train buffs I have come across that do have valuable collections containing some of the information I have needed to complete my documentation seem steadfastly unwilling to share. That's a shame because many of these one-of-a-kind collections will be - and have been - discarded as useless by the survivors of the collector. I've seen it happen.

A friend of mine I knew in the NMRA once went to a flea market and discovered a cardboard file box full of HO scale brass locos and tenders, all just tossed in, all severly damaged. He bought the box full for five bucks. To the gal selling her Dad's "toy trains" and his collection of photos, articles, etc., it was all mostly obsolete junk, and worthless.

Sad but true.

However, once you post something on the Internet, it's there forever.

(1)CYCLOPEDIA of LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEERING - SWINDLE - Frederick J. Drake & Co. 1916




5 comments:

John said...

Hello! Your work is really incredible. I've used AutoCAD before but, really, you're an artist with it. I'm looking for a print of an erecting card for a K-36 to hang on the wall and I'm wondering if you have any files or prints for sale. Thanks! --John

Bob said...

Thank you!

I've been working on a finalized print of the K-36 that is close to complete. It will soon(hopefully) be available to any and all.

The tender needs more attention to detail, and - of course - all this backhead information will become an intregal part of it, once its done.

What size print are you looking for?

John said...

I was thinking a 1' x 3' or so print. There are places online to get a print like this if you don't have a plotter. Thanks! --John

Bob said...

Not yet, John, since the drawing isn't finished.

but soon...

John said...

I'd love to hear when it's finished -- I'd be interested in buying a print from you. Keep up the fantastic work! Thanks!